Saturday, June 24, 2006
More Roofing
We are on day two (sort of) of the second side of the roof. Yesterday I repainted in the living room, and then hubby and I took a load of shingles to the dump. Only 1,000 lbs this time. The truck weighted in at exactly 6,000 lbs full.
I made a comment about how it would not be as much if I wasn't along. Hubby responded with "what, about 5,500?" which almost got him left at the dump!
Thursday Hubby and son got the last of the shingles removed.

Since the roof still had a layer of shakes, we didn't worry about tarping. Was not suppose to rain until Friday afternoon anyway. May have been nice if it had, could have washed some of the yuck off the roof.
After I got the painting done, we made the dump run and then started on the shakes - what a dirty job!

We didn't get started on the roof till about 1pm, and it was sure hot up there. At least it started to cloud up around 3, and that made it cooler. Hubby was getting nervous, so once we had half the roof cleared, he tarped that. We got most the shakes removed from the east end, but decided to quit and put on the tarp. Worked out nice, we were off the roof about 5 mn before the rain started.
I got too hot yesterday, and felt terrible all evening. Gotta take better care of myself, I'm not use to working outside in the heat.
Today it should be cooler. Hubby is still in bed, but it's got to dry off a bit anyway. We got 8/10th inch of rain last night. Garden sure is looking good.
Yesterday when I was removing shingles, I kept getting a whiff of "dead". Was worried something had gotten up in the attic, but today when I let the chickens out, I discovered the dog had found a prize (road kill) and brought it home. Tossed that out in the hay field (hope she didn't see where I put it, or it will be back). I love my dog, but I sure wish she didn't have such an affinity for dead things.
Here is what the roof looks like this morning.

Hopefully by the time we quite tonight, it will look just the same. Except that under the trap it will have the new sheathing installed. We shall see. . .
Anna was busy already this morning. . .

You all have as good a day as you can.
Cathy
I made a comment about how it would not be as much if I wasn't along. Hubby responded with "what, about 5,500?" which almost got him left at the dump!
Thursday Hubby and son got the last of the shingles removed.

Since the roof still had a layer of shakes, we didn't worry about tarping. Was not suppose to rain until Friday afternoon anyway. May have been nice if it had, could have washed some of the yuck off the roof.
After I got the painting done, we made the dump run and then started on the shakes - what a dirty job!

We didn't get started on the roof till about 1pm, and it was sure hot up there. At least it started to cloud up around 3, and that made it cooler. Hubby was getting nervous, so once we had half the roof cleared, he tarped that. We got most the shakes removed from the east end, but decided to quit and put on the tarp. Worked out nice, we were off the roof about 5 mn before the rain started.
I got too hot yesterday, and felt terrible all evening. Gotta take better care of myself, I'm not use to working outside in the heat.
Today it should be cooler. Hubby is still in bed, but it's got to dry off a bit anyway. We got 8/10th inch of rain last night. Garden sure is looking good.
Yesterday when I was removing shingles, I kept getting a whiff of "dead". Was worried something had gotten up in the attic, but today when I let the chickens out, I discovered the dog had found a prize (road kill) and brought it home. Tossed that out in the hay field (hope she didn't see where I put it, or it will be back). I love my dog, but I sure wish she didn't have such an affinity for dead things.
Here is what the roof looks like this morning.

Hopefully by the time we quite tonight, it will look just the same. Except that under the trap it will have the new sheathing installed. We shall see. . .
Anna was busy already this morning. . .

You all have as good a day as you can.
Cathy
