Saturday, April 15, 2006

 

Working on siding and spending money

Yesterday I got started on siding the north side of the 1 story section of the house. When we first put on the addition, we planned on having a transition strip in the siding because they wall of the old section was not quite level. Then we replaced the wall so the transition strip is no longer needed. I don’t want a straight “seam” in the siding, so started off by removing several strips from the addition.


I had already marked off a level line with the laser level Thursday evening. I measured down from that mark to where the starter strip needed to go. Then I cut the extra house wrap and removed the staples. We had installed stained green treated plywood on the lower section when we rebuilt the wall.



Then I taped down the edge of the house wrap and installed the starter strip. The siding is one row lower on the old section than it is on the addition.


Then I did a bit of work on the soffit in the corner so I could put up the siding inside corner.


I did not do much with the soffit because I needed to get some F channel first. But this was enough to get the corner installed


This is going to be a bear dealing with the area between the window and the corner, but I’ll figure something out.

I did get two rows of siding up before my hubby got home and we headed up to Menards. Forgot to take another picture, and it’s raining out now. . .

The two newest kitties (G2 and Willy) were enjoying the day.


Angel was sitting right in front of me, waiting for me to do something interesting . . .


She was an “escape artist” yesterday. I had taken her for a short walk that morning, and put her back in the kennel. She’s been real good being locked in the barn all week, since the wall of the lean to fell out last weekend. But she knew I was home, and managed to get the trap door open (we had wedged it shut). I looked out the patio door while doing dishes, and there she was.

I left her out, and joined her shortly to work on the siding. Later in the afternoon, I put her back in the kennel. I brought the hammer and nails with, and nailed the trap door shut. Feeling she was now secure, I closed the barn door and started toward the house. I had not made if very far when Angel came running up to me. I knew she had not got the trap open, so when back in the kennel and discovered she had managed to get the back door unstuck enough to be able to squeeze through. It was a tight squeeze!!

I went around to the back of the barn, pounded the door back in place and nailed it shut too (It had been nailed shut by the previous owner long ago). I put her back in the kennel and could here her digging and whining, trying to get that door open again. She wasn’t happy, but she’s stayed where she belongs since.

Today I got up early and filled out the tax forms. Hubby got up a bit later and loaded the truck with junk. It already had quite a bit, but when we make a dump run, it’s nice to have the truck full. After hauling to the dump, we stopped at TSC to pick up horse feed. Looked at the chicks, but decided they had “Easter Pricing” and it would be much cheaper to order them. Don’t really want them for a few more weeks anyway. Then we looked at carpet. Found something we really liked, but decided it would be best to wait until we had the railing installed before getting carpet. Then we stopped at the post office and went home.

I had wanted to go clothes shopping, so we changed vehicles and headed into Sioux Falls. Left home around 11 am, thinking we’d be back around 2:30 pm – 3:00pm. Was really disappointed at what Kohls had, either they got a new buyer, or they are going after a different market. They had very little in the way of professional work clothing.

So we headed to Godfathers for pizza. We used to really like that place, but they were not near as good today. I think they changed the recipe for their crust, and hubby had an asthma attack from something he at there. That has never happened before, so I don’t know what could have triggered that. We went to the Ace Hardware next door, and hubby picked up an SKS while we were there. I found a Marlin 1895 45/70 octagon barrel, but I really don’t have a use for something like that . . . it sure was pretty though!

Then we went to JC Penney’s, and I found some work clothes. Next stop was Home Depot, to look at welders. Didn’t have what Hubby wants, which we sort of expected, but since we were driving right past, it didn’t hurt to stop.

We would have been home around 3pm, but hubby wanted to stop at Cabalas. That would not have been a big deal, but they did not have what he wanted (cartridges for his SKS). But one of the employees had some at home he was willing to give him. My hubby is such a regular there, they know him pretty well. But we had to wait until he got back from his “lunch break” and that would be around 5pm. We still had to stop at Menards and Wal-Mart (right in the same area) so decided that would be ok. We got a new wheel for my tile cutter, and looked around (using up time) and then headed to Wal-Mart. It’s not good to wander around Wal-Mart just to waste time LOL!!

Hubby needed motor oil. He didn’t need the DVD player and I didn’t need the hall rug. But we did decide the TV would wait until we moved stuff into the living room. Found a nice Sanyo for about $450 that we both liked. That will be the most we’ve ever spent on a TV, but it is a nice one. Then son can have the old one if he wants. We only have a TV in the living room.

We did make it back and got the ammo, and made it home a bit before 6pm. It’s very windy and raining out. I got the chores done and hope to put up the wall paper border later tonight.

Tomorrow we’ll take it easy (or at least hubby will, as I have lots of baking/cooking to do).

That’s my day in South Dakota.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?