Saturday, April 08, 2006

 

Saturday Morning, April 8th

We sure got rain and wind Thursday night into Friday. We had about 1.5” in the rain gauge. Since most of the rain was coming sideways, I don’t think that was an accurate measure. Neighbor to the north got about 2” and local airport (about 12 miles due west) reported about 2 ¼’.

The rain was ok, but the wind did a bit of damage. Got several (about 8) shingles laying in the yard.

This is from the section of the roof we’ve not replaced yet. Neighbor said at this rate, it will all be off before we get to it LOL!! At least there are two layers of shingles with cedar shakes underneath, so with the top layer getting torn off, there is still some protection to keep the water out of the house.


Even though the top roof isn’t all that old, we found (when tearing it off) that it was put on with 1” nails. With the other roofing, that is barely long enough to get into the sheathing, so the nails come out real easy. It was also put up in late fall, and the north sides didn’t seal properly. On the good side, it will motivate me and hubby to get that roof replaced this summer. We had discussed options for changing the roofline. I think we will leave it as it is (we will extend the overhangs thought) and maybe add a dormer at a later date. But we will see . . . Depends on when this project he is currently on gets finished – now it looks like mid June (was originally mid March, then into April, then end of May . . . engineers keep making changes and adding more holes to be dug.

You Posthole people gotta find a way to stretch those holes; you could make a killing selling them to a place like this. I think they are up to 2,500 holes now (80’ deep though).

With the rain and wind, Hubby got off work early yesterday and decided he would rather spend the time driving home than sitting at the bar watching the rest of the crew do stupid human tricks. He’s almost 2 hours away, so not that long of a drive.

He came home around 1 pm, and said “I see the front of the lean to fell off.”

That was news to me; it had been there when I looked out the window around 10 am. Had to go make sure the dog was still home. She was sleeping in the barn, and we had to shut the trap door so she couldn’t get into her “run” anymore. Not sure what we’ll do about it yet.


Since the whole barn will be taken down (if it does not fall down first) we have to set up a new kennel for the dog anyway. It will be in the old shed by the silos, and the chickens will be moved over there too. We’ll have to figure out something in the short run though. Hubby is back working today, unless it’s too muddy (wind is calm right now). Hopefully that is not the case, as I bought a new tiller (craftsman). This one will do both forward and counter tine rotation. We decided to keep the troybilt for the engine. Hubby plans on removing the driveline, and then he’ll have a nice engine on a push cart. I don’t like selling something that I consider a real piece to some unsuspecting soul. I know many people don’t feel that way, but I have to live with myself.

The local Sears didn’t have one in stock, so we won’t be getting it until next weekend. That is ok, it’s a bit too wet to till right now anyway. We spent the rest of the afternoon in Sioux Falls. I needed to get paint, as I prefer Behr paint from Home Depot. We had planned to go Sunday, so that is now out of the way.

I started installing the fan in the living room Thursday evening. Got late and I quit for the night and didn’t have time to get back to it yesterday.

I got a lot to work on today, so I’d better get off the computer and get to work.

Cathy


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?