Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

Monday, April 10th

Saturday I got done with the painting. After getting a bit more use to the color in the living room, I like it more. Did pick out a different border, and it goes very nice with the color. Hubby came home Saturday afternoon and said he really liked the color.

Here is the painted wall in the dining area. There will be wallpaper on the “white” wall and at the top edge of the painted wall. That is why there is no paint right up at the ceiling. Its called “Antique White” so it’s not that different from the white of the primer

The hallway leading into the dining room is the same color, which is also the same color we have in the kitchen. One big reason we choose to use the same color was I had lots of paint left (and I really like the color too LOL!)

Anyway, yesterday (Sunday) hubby and I put down the underlayment in the dining room where the tile will go. Hubby tried some new stuff, sure hope it works. It's 1/2" "Fiberock" and is very stiff. Looks pretty good, and I have a real nice flat surface to work with.

Got out the tile cutter and discovered the tiles won't snap. Guess I'll be learning how to use a wet saw this next weekend. Sure hope the Rent-All store has one available (will call after 9am this morning).

But I got a problem - this room area isn't square. It's the oldest part of the house, and not one of the four corners is quite 90 deg. If I lay the tiles straight, I'm concerned that it's going to look funny along the walls as the tiles won't be uniform - the grout lines won't line up with the walls.

Am considering running the tiles diagonally. That way there won't be any visual lines to match up. Another option would be to stagger the tiles (like brickwork) to break up the grout line in the "long" direction, which is one that will get viewed the most.

Part of me is ready to haul all the tiles back to Menards and get cheap berber carpet. Though I would still need to tile where the wood stove will go.

We already decided to take up the laminate in the kitchen. We will replace it with vinyl in the "kitchen" area and berber in the walk way area (where the patio door is). We'll run the same berber into the hallway to the dining room, and into the den. That will visually tie the area together better, and make the kitchen not seem so big (divide the room into to areas).

Since we used "click fit" laminate, we'll save it and use it upstairs. We've decided that with our livestyle, that laminate just is not going to work in that area. Because its click fit and not glued, moisture can seep into the joints and cause it to lift and curl. You have to clean up any spills ASAP and that includes snow/mud/water dragged in by residents who wear lace up boots and aren't willing to take the time to take them off just to walk into the kitchen when they plan on heading back out.

I think we should pull up the floor, and lay down some really cheap foam back berber. And then when we are done with the two story section, toss the carpet out and put done decent vinyl. Can't put down vinyl until we have the back wall done, as we will be moving part of it back to make an alcove for the fridge. Still have way too much work to get done!

Cathy


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?