Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

Installing a ceiling fan

I started this before I painted the walls, but finished it afterwards. Just so you know why the walls are a different color in the final pictures.

First thing is take the stuff out of the box and make sure it is all ok and nothing is missing.


This fan has a lot of pieces, and is one heavy item. We had the fan picked out before we sheet rocked the ceiling, so my hubby made sure to mount the box so that it would support the weight. The fan has a 5’ wing span, and can move a lot of air!

First I had to lock the upper bracket into the “open” position. It came folded up.


Then I had to feed the wires through the hanging rod and the upper cover. Had to do it twice because I missed the locking ring the first time. It secures the cover to the mounting bracket.


Then I secured the bracket to the fan motor.


Since Hubby was home that night (they got rained out and he decided to drive home instead of spend the day sitting in the hotel room – or at the bar watching the rest of the crew get stupid), I had him mount the ceiling bracket to the outlet box. He had the outlet box screwed to a 2x4 that was nailed in place between two trusses. He promised me it was very secure. (Personally, I think he was getting a bit annoyed by my repeated questions as to the security of the box). But this is one heavy fan!!!


The fan also comes with a safety cable. Only problem is that if hubby lifted it into the bracket, he could not fit the screwdriver in to secure the cable. So I had to hold the fan up in place while he secured the cable, then he lifted the fan and fit the down rod into the mounting bracket.


While hubby connected the wires, I started assembling the fan blades.



Once the electrical connections were made, I secured the cover to the mounting bracket.


The next step was to attach the upper light cover.


And then I mounted the blades.


After getting all the blades mounted, we turned it on to see how it worked. It had a slight wobble at high speed, and since it was getting late, I decided to leave it as it was and deal with it later.

Later turned out to be several days later, after I had painted the walls.


I did trade two blades around, and it helped but there is still a bit of a wobble. But we don’t think we’ll run the fan at high speed anyway, it creates quite a draft.

The last step was to install the bottom light holder and the bottom light cover.


This fan has a remote control. The upper and lower lights can be turned on separately. I really like the way it looks – now I just have to get the wall paper border up.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?