Friday, March 03, 2006
Time to get back to "real time" stuff
I'm still trying to work up some enthusiasm for working on the sheetrock. Seems like I get home from work, and just can't get up the gumption to open that bucket of mud and get to work.
I'm a morning person, and never have been good at getting much done after dark (around
So, today I got up at
Didn't leave much time for taping, but I got another inside and one outside corner mudded up. Daughter wants to come out on the 17th - and I'll need some floor space to set up the air mattress for her to sleep on. Pretty bad when you don't even have floor space anywhere in the house for an air mattress! But that's not unusual when you've got a houseful of stuff crammed into about half the house. Bad part is I’ve been living this way for so long, I’m getting use to it!
Last year we ran out of ambition about the same time. Got the kitchen sheet rocked and a start on taping, and then sort of let it sit for a month before getting motivated again.
We'll see how this goes. See if I can stick to my plan of spending an hour each morning working on the house before going to "work". I sure got a lot of seams to tape up! I really prefer ripping things down to putting them back up, which works for us as my hubby prefers putting things up to ripping them down.
Once the living/dining area is done, we'll move to the laundry/second bath area. We haven't decided how far back we're going to rip the floor. Sort of depends on what we find. Though it would be nice to take it back far enough to stabilize it so the room stops shaking when the washer is on the spin cycle. But then we'd have to either work very fast, or find someway to wash clothes without the washer for a few weeks . . .
We have a second washer and dryer in the basement, but have not figured out if we want to actually hook them up. There is a bit of a problem in that the outgoing septic is about 3 feet from the bottom of the floor, so we'd have to figure out a way to get the discharge from the washer to drain. Best bet would be to figure out how to install the washer as close to the exit pipe as possible, but that is in the old cellar, and may not be possible.
Easiest thing would be to haul the washer and dryer out of the house and find them a new home with someone else, but hubby has not given up his idea of having an old machine to wash his dirty work clothes in. Yea, he's been washing them in my new machine for a year - so what's the big deal? Not like a family of three needs TWO washers and dryers - and I'll never want to haul laundry to the basement to wash it. Especially since we went to so much work redesigning the laundry room on the main floor!
Right now, I wish I could just switch gears and start tearing out the ceiling in the den. That would be so much funner than taping sheetrock!
But I promised my husband that I would not start ripping the east end of the house up until we had the west end finished. And I mean "FINISHED" not just done enough that you can use it. We don't have any room in the house actually finished yet, and that drives my husband nuts. He's the one who has to cut and install the trim - but seems like every time he thinks he's going to have time to work on it, he gets called for a project that takes it all up.
I had hoped he wouldn't be called to work until mid April, then he got called mid Jan, and it's out of town to boot. I'm working on him to consider purchasing our kitchen cabinets instead of making them. At this rate, we'll have the money way before he'll have the time to do it. Then he says "why did we buy the planer and jointer" but I figure woodworking tools are never a bad purchase, and he has already used them for lots of things.
It's hard to believe that in a few weeks it will have been a year since we broke ground on our new addition, and we STILL don't have it done. But that is mostly because we had to move the kitchen and bathroom in the old section before we could work on the new section. . .
I just gotta find a way to get MOTIVATED again.
Cathy
By that time, I'd already be over at the Dairy Queen eating a Butterfinger Blizzard.
Because I am lazy, that's why. ;)
<< Home

