Sunday, March 05, 2006

 

Sunday morning - taking a break

I feel like I’m actually making progress. I’ve been getting up early for the last several mornings and taping sheetrock. Seems I have to be fresh and ready to face the world in order to face the sheetrock. Was out of bed around 4:30 this morning (thanks to Son’s alarm clock that he decided to sleep through).

Here things are, ready to get started.

And now for the really hard part – Getting the lid off the bucket!!!!!

The dining room is pretty much done except the ceiling/wall corners. Hubby has some pretty big gaps he wants to fill with patching compound before I tape it up. Hopefully he will feel up to that today. He was chopping wood yesterday and a piece bounced up and scraped his knuckles real bad, and then bounced down and into his shin. Nothing broken, but he was in a lot of pain. When he’s NOT cussing up a storm, I know he is hurt bad. He sat down and relaxed by the fire for a while (I threw in the log that got him!) and was able to move around after a bit.

Here is the dining room as it looks right now. Sort of like a room with the measles. I’m waiting until I have the first coat on everywhere before I start sanding and working on the second. But I like that better than putting up the tape.

This picture shows the short wall that we had to build so we could transition from the living room to the dining room. Will put cement board up and that will be tiled to match the wall behind where the wood stove will go.

Yesterday we had the excitement of getting our first gun safe. I realized we already have more items than will fit – but we figured you need to keep a few accessible anyway. I told my husband that his pellet gun did not need to be in the safe LOL!!! I’ve already got four firearms I’m interested in. There is a gun show in Rapid City in April. My hubby has never been to the Black Hills, so I sure hope we can make the trip. In case anyone is interested, I’m still looking for my savage/fox BE (not BSE) series J 12 gauge sxs shotgun. This one has a double trigger with select ejectors and a vented rib. Next is the Marlin Camp 9, 9mm semi-auto carbine, and then the .22 break top pistol, (probably H&R, but I’ve seen a few other brands out there). And last is the Marlin 1897 lever .22 with the octagon barrel. I want the newer model (Texan) made around 2000, can’t afford the older ones LOL!

Oh wait, I forgot about the Marlin 90 o/u shotgun . . . and then there is the .223 that my husband has been trying to get me to buy for over a year now. Yea, he does occasionally think he knows what I should get better than I do.

We went to Sioux Falls yesterday afternoon to get oil filters for my car, and while there we looked at the ’06 Saturns. They got some nice deals right now, but we decided it would be best to wait and see just how long my hubby’s car will go before we have to replace it. It’s a ’99 Saturn with 233,000 miles on it. Body is in excellent shape, so if the driveline conks out soon, it may be better to replace that than get a new car.

Back to the safe (I sure do go off on tangents – must be the math lover in me). Here it is, safe in its new home.

The guy who delivered it was really nice. He lives up near Brookings, so this was not a real long drive for him (about 2 hours). We had to clean up and move stuff around before the safe arrived. First we had to move the shower out of the way, now our “shortcut” into the laundry room is cut off. Here is a pic with the shower moved out of the doorway.

The second big thing to move was the old dryer; it’s now out in the shop. After seeing how easy the stair climber was to use, hubby figured he should have waited and gave the guy $10 and had him haul the dryer up the stairs – after all he had to walk the dolly up anyway (it’s way to heavy to carry, better to let the machine lift itself).

Here is a picture of the stairs – at least they are finally firmly attached so they don’t wobble anymore. Hubby figured that was a good thing to do before the safe showed up.

And one last picture of the safe. We looked at a lot of different brands that were available locally before choosing this one.

Hubby is awake now, I promised Texas Toast for breakfast (like French toast but using the “Texas” wide sliced bread). Hope the day brings a few smiles to you all.

Cathy


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?